Sunday, February 8, 2009

Melting Away My Cabin Fever

If you've ever had the glorious experience of living through a Wisconsin Winter, you've experienced the worst. Six months of leafless trees and dirty snow covering the ground will have you begging for a flight out of town. The frigid air pierces exposed skin and sends an icicle chill down your spine. I ask myself daily, "Why would anybody want to live here?" Maybe it's because I'm not from around here. Do locals of Wisconsin grow to love the indoor prison sentence that nature has granted them? I forget how it feels to have the warmth of the sun shine down on my face. My hands are pepetually purple from the cold and are dry from a constant dry air coming from the furnace. I have acquired grampa hands that appear old, worn, and wrinkled. I wonder if they will resume their youthful state when warmer weather comes along.

Today is the second consecutive day above freezing. As a watch the snow melt, a feeling of depression that a long winter brings, starts to break. I see grass emerge under a dirty white blanket of snow. Seeing the grass brings back the thought of summer, and how bright and beautiful everything used to be. I check out the satellite image of my house on google/maps.com and see how my house looked when everything was bursting with every shade green. My heart fills with hope and my mind is filled with ideas. I am a functional human being again.

No comments:

Post a Comment